Our trip to the land of Fjords and Trolls - Summer 2019

• For a long time, I was thinking about undertaking a longer journey and utilize the Parental leave. We had the experience of travelling with a Motorhome (Wohnmobile) for three weeks during the first parental leave in 2016. This time around we wanted to be on the road longer and the decision was made to purchase a caravan (Wohnwagen) to reduce costs.

On July 3rd, we left Mannheim, where we live, on the journey that will take us to the lush greens of western Norway. Our little girl just turned one right before the start of the journey and her bigger brother turned 4 in May. We could only go very slowly due to the small kid not being very happy with the proposition of sitting for a long time in the child seat. We did not have a specific destination for the first nights stop and wanted to stop whenever we felt that going forward does not make sense. So we landed for the evening at Camping Ulmbachtalsperre and ended up staying there for two nights. Now I was not really comfortable with the trailer yet and parking up and adjusting the position of the caravan was also not really good the first time. The two nights were rather not easy because I had to sleep on a slanted surface and the mosquitos did not make life any easier. Next stop was Münster where we spent another two days and Hamburg with the Miniature Wonderland and visiting friends took up another 4 days. As you see by now, the going north is really slow upto this point.

It was only in Flensburg that we really had the opportunity to first time weigh the Caravan – surprise, surprise – we were 200 Kg over the limit ☹. Taking into consideration the high prices in the Scandinavian countries we tried to stock up on lot of food, and we were carrying along a number of stuff that turned out to be ‘dead weight’ at the end of the journey. Beginners mistakes!!! We managed to transfer the weight over to the car and crossed the border to Denmark on the same day driving into the night to stop before a camping outside of Copenhagen at Ishøj. This was the first time we had the feeling that we were getting up north, and also really the first day where many kilometres could be travelled at a stretch – thanks to sleeping kids. This we will remember for the rest of the journey and strategically plan the longer routes in the night.

After Hamburg somehow I was not anymore in the mood for another big city and we skipped Kopenhagen and took the Oresund bridge to cross to Sweden. Sweden and Norway being the actual destination of the holiday, now the holiday feeling started to seep in. Also I was very excited about driving on the Oresund bridge – which turned out to be boring. But hey, I did it . Now in Sweden we travelled the west-coast northwards in the direction of Oslo, a stop at Kullaberg for lunch and a hike to the picturesque Lighthouse was squeezed in, partly to cook lunch and partly because some guidebook suggested it. Late in the night we reached a ‘Stellplatz’ – Smarholms Badplats, the night was short, the morning was amazing. Waking up to the sound of waves, surrounded by big stones and here and there places to jump into the cold North sea. We came to admire the local swedes – mainly old ladies – who came for a swim in that cold and after the swim sat around and chit-chatted with friends… and here we were trying to find the warmest jacket to even go out of the caravan. I wanted to try if would jump into the water – by the time I donned my shorts and reached the water my family and the aforementioned old ladies started to cheer. Now I had to jump into the water, lest I be branded a ‘weichei’ for the rest of the holiday… it was surprisingly refreshing to jump in.

Next stop would be Firstcamp Kungshamn, again we landed here without any idea and the camping turned out to be one of the best (and expensive). The minigolf at this camping was the most creative I had seen. The next day the journey continued in the direction of Oslo, seeing all the Norwegian registerd cars shopping on the Swedish side we took extra care to stock up on bread and other stuff. We figured it must be cheaper on this side of the border. In the dead of the night we reached Holmenkollen Skijump accompanied by thunderstorms and heavy rain and stopped for the night at the top (Tryvannstarnet Oslo).

The next two days we used to visit the museums in Oslo and the famous sculpture park. It was time to move into the heart of Norway, away from the highways and concrete jungle. We did not really have a concrete plan of where to go – apart from a few points of interest that we picked up along the way from friends, books and websites and wrote it somewhere in the recesses of the memory to definitely have seen it. We started off from Oslo northwards in the direction of Lillehammer, leaving in the evening to make good progress. We would drive along the majestic Mjøsa – the E6 is full of constructions and we definitely struggled a few times with the trailer. We stopped for the night at the Sveastranda Camping on the shores of Mjøsa, again reaching well past midnight and ready for a quite night.

The next day we spent at the camping relaxing and enjoying the play areas for the kids. We also decided to go over to Hamar on the following day to the Norwegian train museum, my 4 year old being a big fan of steam engines. We had indeed passed Hamar on the previous night – it could have been better planned, but it was as it was. At least we did not have to travel back with the caravan in tow. The first advantage of being able to detach the caravan and proceed with only the car.

Next leg of the journey would take us over Grotly to Oppstryn. Quite an eventful day, at Grotli Høyfjellshotell – my navigation in the car directed me to the Gamle Strynefjellet, without knowing at that time that we are going to drive over a mountain pass. I was still not very comfortable with the caravan and as each narrow stretch of the road came up, of which there were many, I was hoping that no other vehicle came in the opposite direction. Luckily it was 10 PM and there was no traffic. The route itself is majestic and we would have loved to stay at the top of the mountain for the night. However the prospect of having to drive the next day when possibly more cars are going to be travelling was not very appealing in that moment. We managed to cross the pass unscathed and in good spirits and stopped at a parking lot on the shores of Oppstrynsvatn. Here we also met up with my wife’s work colleagues who were also on a similar journey with a wohnmobile – they had planned to go all the way up north and over to Finland.

This was the Norway that I wanted to see, majestic mountains and green. Waterbodies and waterfalls wherever you look. Nature in its pristine beauty.

Stryn, well Sande Camping to be precise was on my list of places to go to in Norway, so we headed out after breakfast to the camp. Oh my, was the drive challenging the road to the camp was narrow – thankfully the other drivers were understanding, stopping and waiting for us to pass wherever there was a pass-by place. At the camp we were lucky to be directed to camp right next to the water and we set up camp there. This was the second and last time we would use our heavy ‘Vorzelt’ during our journey. First time was in Hamburg to even try out for the first time if everything worked and if we had all parts… I know, planning should have been different but with the little kids and work and everything, we just did not have the opportunity to do it beforehand.

• Ein schöner Bericht, wäre wohl besser, wenn er in einem deutschen Forum auch in Deutsch verfasst wäre.
    LG

• Ein schöner Bericht, wäre wohl besser, wenn er in einem deutschen Forum auch in Deutsch verfasst wäre.
    LG

Nicht jeder, der in Deutschland lebt ist auch der deutschen Sprache mächtig.

Schöner Bericht. :ok

Gruß, der Feger

Der Weg ist das Ziel, auch wenn es keinen Weg mehr gibt, sondern nur noch eine Richtung.....

• Für alle die des Englischen nicht (so) mächtig sind, empfehle ich deepl.com als Übersetzer. Um Welten besser als der Google Übersetzer, da er vernünftige Sätze bildet.
    Damit sollte der Bericht für jeden lesbar sein, wenn man den Text da rein kopiert. Muß man bei der Größe des Berichts in Teilen machen, da in der kostenlosen Version ein Limit an Buchstaben existiert.

@Jino_Augustine: Deepl.com is a very good translator who helps you to write German texts in the forum or to check your own translation. You can also customize the translated text by clicking on the words in the translation and choosing other/better words if necessary.

• Deepl.com :ok gut zu wissen.
    Bei diesem Text ging es noch ohne :w

"Der Tourist zerstört was er sucht, indem er es findet".

Grüße aus de(r) Pfalz

LG

Gebe ich dir recht. Ich wollte einfach nicht meine grammatische fehler in einem Deutschen Bericht zur schau stellen. Ich hoffe, es war trotzdem für dich verständlich.

Für alle die des Englischen nicht (so) mächtig sind, empfehle ich deepl.com als Übersetzer. Um Welten besser als der Google Übersetzer, da er vernünftige Sätze bildet.
    Damit sollte der Bericht für jeden lesbar sein, wenn man den Text da rein kopiert. Muß man bei der Größe des Berichts in Teilen machen, da in der kostenlosen Version ein Limit an Buchstaben existiert.

@Jino_Augustine: Deepl.com is a very good translator who helps you to write German texts in the forum or to check your own translation. You can also customize the translated text by clicking on the words in the translation and choosing other/better words if necessary.

Danke Peugotpik, ich werde die übersetzunsgseite anschauen und mit einer Muttersprachler kurzschliessen ob es grammatisch auch geht.

• Natürlich, quasi meine zweite Muttersprache.

• Also extra einen Übersetzer bemühen werde ich nicht tun
    Dann lese ich den Bericht halt nicht, auch egal

Schöne Grüße

Tabbi
    unterwegs mit VW Tiguan Allspace 4Motion DSG HL R-Line 2.0 und Tabbert DaVinci 525HE

• We ended up staying 7 days at the Sande Camping in Lodalen Valley. It was by far one of the best places that we stayed at during our whole trip. Using the camp as the base – we visited Kjendalsbreen Glacier, Sætrevatnet (a little lake beyond the Huldrefossen waterfall), Geiranger, Strynesfjellvegen, the tragic location of landslides in the lodalen valley in 1905 and 1936. We started off one day to also visit the Briksdalsbreen glacier, but a Cruise ship parked at Olden and the number of busses that were just starting their trip to apparently to the glacier, indeed disappointed. The overwhelming number of tourists that we encountered in Geiranger was enough to make sure that we did not try to do that again. Frankly we did not feel that we missed out on anything. We would continue to avoid the larger towns and famous attractions and enjoyed the pure nature in that way. Children enjoyed the walks in the nature and collecting wild berries. None of them berries made their way back to the camper, getting consumed as soon as we collected them

Kjendalsbreen Glacier

The place where trajedy hit in 1905 and 1936

On the way to Sætrevatnet

Stynesfjellvegen

Geiranger

From Sande camping we decided to go to Ålesund, which did not live upto the high expectations that we had about the picturesque city that Alesund should be. Guidebooks were in our opinion wrong. Also in all fairness I should say that travelling with small children has its quirks. Our priorities are to keep the children entertained and engaged, when they are happy the holiday for the parents are also an uplifting experience.

Just after a night in Alesund we were ready to hit the road. We spent the day at the Aquarium in Alesund and that was indeed a wonderful experience. Next point of interest on our list was Trollkyrka. We also stopped on the way at Molde viewpoint and watched the sunset from there. It was past midnight when we reached the Parking Trollkyrka and although the signboards said no camping we figured it would be okay to stop and sleep. The next day was quite tiring walking up to the Troll Church with the baby on my back and provisions were carried by my wife. Our older kid managed to walk up the hill for 2.5 hours and he also managed to climb down on his own.

After troll church we decided to drive the Atlantic Road (Atlanterhavsveien), it was evening and we were mightly tired. I think we had also run out of water. May be it was the hunger, may be it was thirst or may be it was the fact that we were all mightily tired, the drive itself was nothing to write home about. We stopped at one point to pacify the crying baby, but more was not possible, we drove further to Kristiansund. Kristiansund would be the northernmost point on our journey this time. The little one had in the meantime also gotten an eye infection and the medicines that we were carrying were not proving to be effective enough. So we spent a day in Kristiansund to find a doctor. First we went to a Medical store, who directed us to a doctors office. They were in turn not allowed to take in patients who came on their own. We had to call a central number and they directed us to another doctor and gave us a time appointment. I am immensely thankful to the Nurse who worked at the first doctor who helped us understand the process and also to decipher the location of the doctor where we got the appointment.

Alesund Aquarium

By this time we were tired of all the driving around and actually quite sad that we left the sande camping. We wanted to get back to the nature and selected Trollstigen as our next destination. We started around 3 PM from Kristiansund and reached Trollveggen camping at 7:30 PM. We found a good spot to camp and decided to set camp and rest for a few days there. We did some visit to Åndalsnes, drove the trollstigen and walked along the river Rauma to Trollveggen visitor center. After Trollveggen camping we drove in the direction of central Norway, stopping at the Sagelva Hydropower museum on the way. A beautiful experience for the kids and for us as well. Friendly volunteers showed us around and we were more than glad to have made the stop. We camped at the Hageseter Touristcabin near Hjerkinn at Dovrefjell–Sunndalsfjella National Park that evening. We stayed two nights here and visited Snøhetta and it was interesting to see the surreal almost the kind of landscape that you would encounter in Western movies in the heart of Norway. From Hjerkinn we decided to take the scenic route through the Rondane Nationalpark going from Folldal to Ringebu.

Could not add anymore pictures to this message - so I will add in a seperate comment right after this.

• Climbing upto the Troll-Church

Entrance to Troll-Church

Inside!

A refreshing bath for the hot day :)

Trollstigen and Trollveggen

• Danke, ein Klasse Reisebericht.
    Thank you for your Report.
      :ok

• Also extra einen Übersetzer bemühen werde ich nicht tun
    Dann lese ich den Bericht halt nicht, auch egal

Warum kann man nicht mal über den eigenen Tellerrand hinwegschauen? Es ist so einfach, einen Übersetzer zu benutzen, wenn man Interesse an etwas hat. Die Welt ist bunt und es ist doch toll, wenn man so einen schönen und ausführlichen Reisebericht lesen kann. Respekt Jino! Wie ich an anderer Stelle schon schrieb, ist dein Deutsch ausgezeichnet. Wann hast Du begonnen, Deutsch zu lernen?

• As we had already been to Ringebu on our way to Stryn we did not spend much time in Ringebu or surroundings. Next place that my wife really wanted to see was Bergen. We decided to take the route in the direction of west through the Sognefjellet pass. That night we stayed at a roadside parking. On the way there were a few more scenic places to stop but they were either occupied or were not really possible to get into with the caravan. It was quite windy that night but the kids were already sleeping and we had to stop somewhere for the night. There we met a cyclist from Dresden who was travelling around Norway with just his cycle. He was planning to climb up as much as possible and stop for the night with his tent on the pass. For my wife, being an avid cyclist, it was a great encounter.

Hike from the Sognefjell Sommer ski center

Early next morning after breakfast we continued our climb through and to the Sognefjell. We made a stop at the Sognefjellet Summer Ski Centre and we did a nice walk. When we reached the Ski Center the parking was more or less deserted, by the time we came back it was fully packed and it was not possible for us to move the caravan out of the parking without first moving a few cars. So the situation demanded that we spend more time there and we cooked and had our lunch there and waited for a few vehicles to move. I do not remember exactly now but I think we left the Sognefjell Summer Ski center around the time for our daughters afternoon nap. Without much ado, we proceeded along the scenic route and made a stop for the evening at Pluscamp Sandvik in Gaupne. We found a nice place to park the caravan between the apple trees and the camp was within walking distance of the Fjord. We tried our luck with fishing here again, but caught nothing. We spent a day going around Gaupne, shopping and hanging out.

For our next stop we briefly considered the ferry to travel the Nærøyfjord but the high costs actually put us off. Frankly the boat trip around Geiranger taught us that with the kids on tow – we were not going to really see and enjoy the scenery from a boat. So the map was pulled out and the next destination was fixed for Flåm. If time permitted we thought a ride on the famous Flâmbana would be nice. After taking the Manheller ferry from Kaupanger we read about the longest tunnel in the world at 24,5 kilometers. We decided to not take the tunnel, instead to take the mountain road that was made obsolete with the tunnel. The climb up the mountain was through narrow roads but enjoyable. Traffic was almost nil as the mountain pass is not being used anymore because of the tunnel. We decided to make an overnight stop at the top of the mountain. There was no range for the mobile phones just vast expanse of nature…. Here and there other campers who have stopped their vehicles for the night. It was quite cold in the night going down to -1, it was one of the few times during our journey that we used the gas heater in the caravan. We would not leave the heater on during the night as my wife was afraid of the wohnwagen catching fire in our sleep, but we would warm up and then disconnect the gas . Well may be a few degrees colder as it is comfortable – but peace of mind worth more than that.

Catching some sunshine!

Breakfast with a view

The next day we made our way to Aurland, on the way, there was Stegastein viewpoint. Unfortunately we could not make a stop there as there was not enough place left for our car and caravan, climbing down we also had a few encounters on the narrow serpentine roads with apparently not experienced drivers. Generally when driving narrow roads you keep a distance from the vehicle in front of you so that in case a vehicle from the opposite direction need to pass there is enough room to manoeuvre. Well I should not complain – being a newbie myself to trailer driving – we decided to take it all the way to Norway!

Somehow we felt that Flåm is over touristy and decided against a stop there. Instead we wanted to go to Undredal – a village that has more sheep than people. We missed the turn to Undredal and there was no possibility to turn until the end of a very long tunnel (13 or 14 kilometers) so we ended up driving the tunnel twice on that day. The guidebooks warned against taking the caravan to Undredal because of the narrow roads. After having managed the mountain passes we were positive and decided to take it all the way to Undredal and stay there overnight. Spectacular, laid back and all in all a good decision to have made the stop. We however stayed only one night there and proceeded the next day in the direction of Bergen. On the way it rained heavily and we thought it was good that we were having a ‘driving day’, we also called up a farm just outside of Bergen to book for a two nights. We were lucky to have done that because otherwise this place would have been full. The camping was very basic but there were animals at the farm which was a highlight for the kids. They explained everything and the stay was very pleasant (Solneset Gård).

Bergen, as most of you probably know was rainy. My raincoat was not really weatherproof and soon I was wet all over. In that cold conditions it was not at all fun… I think we had one of our most heated arguments on that day! I was not really into sightseeing because of the uncomfortable situation… in retrospect I think I was really unfair to my wife. Next time I should handle it a bit better.

Leaving Bergen, we proceeded to one of my highlights of the trip – Rjukan, I like history a lot and the story of heavy water at Rjukan-Vemork had caught my attention as I was preparing the journey. We made a stop in the afternoon at the Tyssedal Hydropower Museum and drove up to Låtefossen, one of the few waterfalls that I consider an attraction in Norway. That is the problem with Norway, I consider waterfalls beautiful and enjoy them… but Norway has too many to really pick one out. That night we made a stop again when the going got tough and it was past midnight somewhere at a parking lot between Røldal and Haukeli. It was once again such an amazing experience to wake up the next day with a view over the landscape dotted with waterbodies and fog.

Tyssedal Hydropower Museum

Låtefossen

• Vielen lieben Dank für die tolle Nachrichten, es macht spass zu schreiben wenn ich auch weiss dass es gut ankommt :). Tut mir leid für die pausen inzwischen, der Alltag hat uns wieder!

Ich habe bereits einmal angefangen unser reisebericht zu verfassen - auf meine muttersprache (Malayalam മലയാളം). Erst später habe ich beschlossen auch hier mal zu schreiben, nach der diskussion um Sande Camping. Da ist es mir lieber um arbeit zu sparen es einfach auf Englisch zu schreiben... rein aus sicht von wiederverwendbarkeit. Schade wenn jemand dabei ausgeschlossen fühlt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!